Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Winter Blues While Waiting For Next Fly Fishing Season? - Not So ... Winter Sharpens This Fly Fisher's Enthusiasm!

In The Vise - thoughts on fishing, medicine, and my life: Winter: "Saturday, January 07, 2006
Winter
I don't mind the winter months - not like some people, who dread the coming of the snow and the short days. I think I would be lost without the cadence of seasons to mark the flow of time. For a flyfisher, the winter can be a time of renewal, both physically and mentally. For me, it's a time to restock my fly boxes with the fruits of my vise. It's also a time to reflect on the fish that were caught, those that were not, and those that probably laughed at my sloppy skills. I do fish occasionally in the winter, but I strongly desire some sort of demarcation to mark the end of one season and the beginning of the next. In years past, before there were year-round open fishing areas on the more popular rivers, fishing ended September 30th and didn't begin again until April 1st. Now, we can enjoy our sport year round (which I appreciate - the summer glory is all to brief), but part of me still likes to be able to set one season in the past and look forward to the next. "

A true enthusiast with an unbelievable philosophy on fly fishing! All of the year is equally precious in the life cycle of fly fishing. The winter pause seems to sharpen his enthusiasm! ... a worthy role model...